GIVING BACK AND PROVIDING SUPPORT FOR OUR NEIGHBORS
1 in 4 YMCA Members Benefit from the Y’s Financial Assistance Program!
We believe that everyone in our community should have the opportunity to benefit from YMCA programs and services. Our Financial Assistance Program is central to our mission. When someone loses a job, when medical bills become overwhelming, or when other challenging situations occur, people need the support of the Y. This program offers a sliding fee scale to fit the financial situation of individuals in our community.
In 2014, the Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA provided more than $7.1 million in financial assistance.
How do I get assistance?
- Contact the nearest YMCA branch and request a financial assistance application or download it at the side of this page.
- Provide required information: in order to process your application, you must attach copies of the following items to your completed application. This application will be processed only if the application is complete and the required items are attached:
- A copy of your most recent tax return (1040 or 1040EZ) for everyone living in the household
- The last 2 paycheck stubs of everyone in the household who is working
- Proof of Social Security or Social Security Disability Income, if applicable
- Proof of any other sources of income, if applicable
- Please allow up to 10 days to process your application. After this period a YMCA representative will contact you with approval or to request further information.
How long will assistance continue?
Assistance is provided for a specific time period and will be reviewed for eligibility every 2 years. If help is still needed when assistance is reviewed, you will be asked to re-apply. If your circumstances change before the time period is up, please let us know so we may serve others.
Why does the YMCA request financial information?
With information on income and family size, we can award assistance in a fair and consistent manner. We use these procedures to ensure that everyone receives equal consideration.
Who will see the financial information?
Personal financial information is handled in a confidential manner and will be seen and reviewed only by the YMCA’s professional staff. No information is shared with any other agency or organization.
Who provides funding for the Financial Assistance Program?
The Financial Assistance Program is possible through the generosity of donors to our Annual Campaign. All money raised through our Campaign goes directly to provide assistance through our Financial Assistance Program.
Open Doors Program
The Open Doors program is an income-based membership rate scale designed for household incomes below $80,000 for full privilege family memberships, this includes one or two parent families. An individual income below $40,000 will qualify one person for a reduction in a full privilege individual membership. Qualifying individuals and families will receive a 25% reduction on membership rates.