CHANGE TODAY FOR A HEALTHIER FUTURE
You can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and gain tools for healthy living.
If you are risk for type 2 diabetes, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where you can work with others in a small group setting to learn how to adopt healthy habits to reduce your chances of developing the disease.
The program, which is led by a trained Lifestyle Coach in a classroom setting, is delivered over a 12-month period, beginning with 16 weekly sessions and three sessions every other week during the first six months followed by 6 monthly sessions in the second six months. You will learn strategies for eating healthier, increasing your physical activity and making other changes that will improve your overall health and well-being. National institutes of Health research has proven that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by almost 58% and 71% in adults over the age of 60.
Overall structure of the diabetes prevention program:
- A trained lifestyle coach facilitates a small group of participants in learning about healthier eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions.
- Topics covered include healthier eating, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated and more.
- Financial Assistance Available.
Two Primary Goals:
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Engage in regular physical activity
* Individuals who have already been diagnoses with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
To receive additional information or to see if you qualify for the program, contact Kira Rowell, Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinator, at 267-592-4383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in another class location/day? Call us at 267-592-4383! Only 8-10 people are needed to start a class. With enough interest, classes can form that easily to fit your needs!